Organic means pure. Organic foods are food substances free from all impurities, they are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage. Organic foods came into being in 1940s after the Green revolution, since the Organic foods have been in hype among many. Organic farming is strictly a natural process, which includes crop rotation for proper growth, 100% natural manure for fertilization of the soil, physical measures for pest control.
- Organic foods do contribute to better health. They hold greater amounts of anti-oxidants when compared to inorganic food substances. Studies reveal that anti-oxidants derived from Organic foods are more effective as there is lesser interaction of foreign particles with naturally occurring chemicals, minerals, vitamins etc. within the organic food substances.
- Organic foods do not contain any sorts of pesticides or fertilizers. This is one of the greatest reasons why people opt for organic food. The absence of such substances make these foods healthier than inorganic. Pesticides are used during growth period to prevent the crops. These pesticides are harmful to human beings. For the proper growth of children, organic foods are utilized.
- Organic foods are not genetically modified in anyway, hence preventing humans from weak immune systems, birth mortality, allergies, cancers due to radioactive particles etc.
- Organic foods control the spread of diseases like down’s syndrome which occur due to the genetic disorders which is caused due to genetic modification of food substances due using radioactive resources.
- Studies reveal that the rate of pesticides in urine dropped when conventional food was replaced with organic foods in the diet of children around ages of 13-16.
- Organic produce is not treated with any antibiotics or inject-able hormones in the case of poultry and livestock, which helps the human body to stay prevented from various harmful hormonal imbalance and resistance to certain antibiotics.
- Organic meat stops the overgrowth of body as the meat is completely artificial hormone free.
- Organic products are environmental friendly too, as no chemicals are used to harm the environment, with that being true, as no preservatives or chemicals are added they give off a better taste than inorganic foods.
- Organic meat is mainly fed on grass most of the year. Grass feeding boosts levels of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, beta carotene and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), an amino acid that may help prevent heart disease and cancer.
- Organic chickens are left free to a healthy environment where they feed on naturally produced grains and fodder.
- Organic foods can be produced anywhere around the world but it can be difficult as organic produces take completely different measures than inorganic produces.
- Organic foods contain low levels of nitrates and higher levels of vitamin C and selenium which are healthy for human skin.
- Organic foods are anti-aging products.
- Organic food is consumed fresh because of which it is a much better option than conventional.
- Organic farming results to be inexpensive, as the farmers do not spend on insecticides, pesticides, fertilizers etc.
- An experiment showed results that during the months of pregnancy women were given organic foods and conventional foods throughout, at birth, women who consumed organic foods conceived babies who were healthier than those who consumed conventional foods.
- Organic farming doesn’t only provide health benefits but it is a sustainable way of farming and can help the future generation.
Although Organic foods may give you a healthier lifestyle, but they do have a few drawbacks too.
- Organic foods are relatively expensive than organic foods. Many farmers produce conventional/inorganic foods as it is easier to produce them. They are not always available in large quantities hence being expensive.
- They have shorter shelf life due to the absence of preservatives and processing elements.
- Studies show that organic foods may be more contaminated than conventional produces. The most profound bacteria being ‘E-coli’. This is so because conventional produces antibiotics and chemical fertilizers whereas organic produces are free from antibiotics and manure (cow dunk) is used as a fertilizer which may contain E-coli bacteria.
- Organic farming requires skills, it is done more carefully and the farmers have to engage closely with the nature in order to make their farming fruitful.
- The yield of organic farming is much lesser than that of conventional farming, as it requires physical activities, taking care of huge yields can be a difficult task for the farmers.
- Organic foods contain the same calories as conventional foods, many people consume organic foods to reduce weight.
- Very limited produces are found under the category of organic food substances as organic farming is a difficult task.
- Tetra packaging of Organic foods may make them inorganic as tetra packages require preservatives. 5% of tetra packaged organic foods were found with traces of externally administered chemicals to preserve the food substances for longer period of time.
- Organic foods cannot be transported to far areas as they have shorter shelf life. They can be easily contaminated too as they do not have preservatives, traces of pesticides or antibiotics within them.
Many organizations are still researching for efficient methods of organic farming as they have proved to be healthier than the normal conventionally farmed produces. Many organizations say that there would be an increase in the production of organic foods by 2025.